Thursday, September 26, 2013

Recipe: Spaghetti with Bacon and Leeks (Ree Drummond)

Pasta is my go-to ingredient whenever I want a quick, easy lunch. Yesterday I just made pesto pasta in under 20 minutes, with the help of Baby D. On another occasion, I adapted one of Ree Drummond's pasta recipe to make lunch. Most of her pasta recipes are really easy but I chose this one in particular as I had bacon left in the fridge (substitute for the pancetta in the recipe) and I also grabbed some leeks on the way out of the wet market that morning.

Spaghetti with Bacon and Leeks


Hubby very kindly sacrificed 1/2 cup of white wine, for the sake of cooking this pasta for lunch. I quite enjoyed the pasta, it was similar to a carbonara, but without the raw egg. Rich and creamy, but personally I would prefer more bacon and leeks. We still think my mushroom pasta with truffle oil and poached egg is nicer.


This will be my last post for Cook Like a Star this month. Thanks to everyone who joined in, and to those who want to participate, you have until the end of the month to submit your Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) recipes.

And by the way, winners for the giveaway has been drawn. Please check back at this post for results.



Spaghetti pasta with Pancetta and Leeks
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from Ree Drummond
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 3


Ingredients
250g spaghetti pasta
75g streaky bacon, sliced
3 leeks, thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup whipping cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

To garnish
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese


1. In a pot of salted water, cook pasta to al dente, according to pack instructions. Drain and set aside.

2. At the same time as cooking the pasta,  saute the chopped bacon for 3-4 minutes until it is crispy and brown in a frying pan. Then, add the leeks and butter and cook for 2 minutes, until it has softened.

3. Pour in wine, then cook for 1-2 minutes, until reduced. Reduce heat to low, then pour in the cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add pasta and toss, adding a little pasta water as necessary, and top with freshly grated Parmesan.





If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! Thanks :)


*********************************

I am submitting this to the "Cook Like Ree Drummond" event which I am co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Mich of Piece of Cake. To join, simply cook or bake any recipe from any Ree Drummond websites or cookbooks for the whole month of September 2013. You can link your posts at one of the host's pages.

Your post must be a current post i.e. posted in September 2013 - please do not link older posts.Please mention Cook like a Star in your post and link back to Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsMich of Piece of Cake and Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out.

Happy cooking! Do check out the other bloggers recipe below:

7 comments:

  1. Love those tomatoes with the amazing Spaghetti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pasta too especially easy and delicious like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yen, Ree's pasta with pancetta and leek is my boys all time favourite pasta. It is very strange that they even eat up all the leeks which I put plenty. If you use farfalle like Ree's, I think it tastes better too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so much in love with PW's Spaghetti sauce that i haven't even checked out her other Spaghetti recipes. This looks nice and simple. perfect for a weekend lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. drools... I love leeks and I love bacon even more... perfect for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yen,

    This pasta looks pretty good to me... but can't fight your fav mushroom pasta? I see what you mean if you really want to compare... At least, I see that your hubby's 1/2 cup of white wine didn't go to waste.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...